What is a Facial?
What is a facial? As one of the most popular and iconic spa treatments, facials are customized treatments that relax and improve the skin of the face, neck, and décolleté. (Note that facials are a treatment, as opposed to a product. What is a facial cleanser then? This is a product that cleanses, purifies, and soothes the skin in one creamy or milky formula).
Today, there’s a wide variety of facials from A to Z: acne prevention facials, brightening facials, chemical peel facials, deep cleansing facials; you name it. The benefits of a facial can include anything from refining your skin tone and enhancing your skin’s radiance to functions like skin repair and lymphatic drainage.
Which Facial is Best For Me?
So how do you find the best treatment for you? A good first step is to book a consultation with an esthetician, or a professional licensed and trained in providing cosmetic treatments. You can find estheticians at day spas or dermatologists’ offices. Together, you can discuss your goals and design a plan for treatment.
Facials usually involve a multi-step procedure to maximize benefits for your skin:
1. Cleansing with cotton pads, sponges, or esthetician wipes primes your face for treatment.
2. Steaming occurs next, working to soften up the face and open up its pores.
3. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and can range in level of intensity, from mild enzyme treatments to mechanical exfoliants or chemical peels.
4. Extractions are an optional step that simply means getting rid of blackheads or whiteheads if you have any.
5. Facial massage relaxes, stimulates, and tones your facial muscles.
6. Facial masks targets all types of skin and skin conditions, and your esthetician will help select the right one for you to apply towards the end of your treatment.
7. Serum, toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen may be applied as a final step to seal in the benefits.
Interested in trying out the facial experience at home? Check out our list of top recommended products to use in a facial.
Top 5 Recommended Products for Effective Facials
1. Gallinee Gallinée Prebiotic Face Vinegar 200ml
2. PIXI Glow Mud Pamper Duo Exclusive
3. Snow Fox Japanese Cherry Blossom and White Tea Smoothing Mask
4. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum 50ml
5. Q+A Hyaluronic Acid Facial Serum