We are seeing more and more women celebrating their natural hair, partly thanks to the influence of celebrities like Solange Knowles and Lianne La Havas. However, there are definitely some secrets when it comes to looking after Afro hair. We have pulled together some of the best loved products as well as expert tips and secrets for keeping Afro hair in the best condition.
Best Shampoo For African American Hair
When investing in a good shampoo, it’s important to look for ones that promise to replenish your naturally dry hair with moisture. Each time you wash your locks, you strip the hair of its natural oils.
To get the best results from your shampoo:
- Work out how often your hair likes to be washed. Depending on your texture and density, it might be every 3 days or it could be just once a week or less.
- If you want to refresh your hair without washing it too often, skip the shampoo stage every other time you wash your hair and just use conditioner instead. This will still remove any unwanted dirt, without stripping moisture.
- Sulphates can leave some curls brittle and dry, so look for sulphate-free formulas.
- For an extra hydration boost, look out for natural oils in the ingredients.
We love the Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, and the Mizani Supreme Oil Shampoo. They both contain natural oil. The Joico Curl Cleansing Shampoo and the new Bumble & Bumble BB Curl Shampoo are also great sulphate-free options.
KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo$7.20
Joico Curl Cleansing Sulfate-Free Shampoo for Bouncy, Healthy Curls (1000ml)$43.90
Best Conditioner for African American Hair
Afro hair needs the hydration and protection from a great conditioner. There are a few things to look out for:
- Look for natural oils, like Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Shea Butter.
- A leave-in conditioner can help extra dry hair feel soft and silky, whilst protecting against breakage.
For conditioners, we love the Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Conditioner with Marula, Olive and Coconut Oils, the L'Anza Keratin Healing Oil Conditioner with a blend of 4 oils and the Briogeo Curl Charisma Conditioner, which is packed with Shea Butter.
KeraCare Leave-In Conditioner (4.0)$9.20
Briogeo Curl Charisma Rice Amino + Shea Curl Defining Conditioner 236ml$12.00
Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Conditioner 8.5oz$9.00
Best Treatments for African American Hair
Afro-Caribbean hair needs a little extra TLC. On top of your regular cleansing routine, extra conditioning and treatments are like food for your hair and will keep your hair feeling strong and healthy.
- Use a hair mask weekly for optimum conditioning.
- Relaxed hair can struggle with breakage and split ends, so this can help protect it.
- If you have relaxed your hair, it’s especially essential that you use a mask to avoid any breakage at the ends or any splitting of the hair shaft.
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque 17ozfrom$53.20
Oils for African American Hair
Whether you wear your hair naturally curly or are a self-proclaimed GHD addict, you need a product that will smooth the hair and fight frizz. Oils are perfect for this. To get the most from them:
- Work oils onto your fingertips and smooth throughout the hair.
- Natural oil will work miracles on hair that is dehydrated or chemically treated; perfect for hair that’s been chemically relaxed.
- Depending on your hair needs, use this on top of or instead of a leave-in treatment.
- Healthy hair starts at the scalp, so investing in a hair oil can help condition the hair right from the roots and keeps your scalp healthy.
KeraCare Essential Oils For The Hair (4.0)$8.10
Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment 30ml$8.00
Styling for African American Hair
Styling is the finishing touch that keeps your hair looking smooth and glossy. Curly hair has a tendency to be not as shiny as straight hair because it can’t reflect the light as well, so extra products and moisture can keep curls well defined and glossy.
- Serums and Shine Sprays add gloss.
- Gels, mousses and cremes can add definition and fight frizz.
The L'Anza KHO Lustrous Finishing Spray and the KeraCare Oil Sheen Spray are our favorites for adding that finishing touch of shine. For definition, we love the Mizani True Textures Curl Define Pudding and Joico Curl Defining Contouring Foam-Wax.
KeraCare Essential Oils (45 ml)$14.90
Mizani True Textures Curl Define Pudding 8oz$9.00
The Newest African American Haircare Must-Haves
The new Mizani range is specially designed to cater for all types of curls, from tight coils to looser waves. We have a few exciting posts coming soon all about the range and how to use it, so we won't go in depth here, but this is a must-try for any natural hair gals.
Trust us, with shampoo, conditioner and styling products which you can customize to your curl needs, this is one to keep an eye on.
|Love Haircare? discover our edit of the best hair straighteners you need in your collection|